Progressive 465 Series Monotube Shock

The original plan was to swap out the stock spring and go with a Top Gun 8kg spring upgrade to handle the load. That all changed when a) thinking all along that the adjustable stock spring was at its highest setting, but was in fact bottomed out with a broken pre-load adjuster, and b) when I tried to compress the Top Gun shock with a set of Tusk spring compressors for the install.

This is what FUBAR looks like.

I figured if the pre-load was busted at its highest setting - 5 - I could live with that being a fixed value, as long as the Top Gun spring compensated that stock spring's shortcomings. But, the Tusk compressors slipped because I didn't tape the spring where they mounted, and because there was no way in bloody hell they were going to compress that spring far enough because they weren't long enough to grab enough spring for the compression in the first place.

I was leaving the following afternoon for a 900-mile weekend ride. I ordered a Progressive 465 Series Monotube shock and had it over-nighted. Rocky Mountain ATV/MC delivered.


Threaded body for pre-load adjustment and a five-position rebound adjuster. Took me longer to dial it in than it did to install it.

The center stand handle makes it a little difficult to access, but it's certainly possible.

Out the driveway the difference was remarkable, combined with the Progressive fork springs. I rode 63 miles to Kanab where I dialed it in one last time with the bike fully loaded.

I have no baseline for the KLR or any other off-road bike in terms of handling. I've been riding street most of my life. So, when I felt the difference on the road with this set-up, I was giddy and surprised by just how crappy the stock suspension was. When I went off-road, I was ecstatic. Washboards all but disappeared, travel and damping poured on the control at the foot pegs and handgrips.

I don't mean to overstate anything at the risk of hyperbole, but I can't imagine anyone not upgrading their pre-2014.5 KLR with this set-up.

Let the good times roll, indeed.


Comments

  1. Looks great! Curious to know why you chose the Progressive over other suspension choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dan. There wasn't much to consider in terms of suspension choices for the KLR and my riding needs including weight and use. Progressive fit the bill better than anything else in terms of load, response and rear adjustment. I initially went with a beefed up Top Gun spring for the rear shock, but as I've written in the post, the install went pear-shaped, and I was embarking on a ride soon, so I pulled the trigger on the 465, an expensive alternative to the Top Gun spring. But it was worth it for me.

      Delete
  2. Good info, thanks for the feedback.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Naked